In June 2014, new Citizenship Act came into effect. There are many changes to this new law. The most important change is the time period you must have lived in Canada as a permanent residence prior to applying for Canadian citizenship. Under the new rules, a permanent resident applying for Canadian Citizenship must:
- A permanent resident must have lived in Canada for 4 years out of the last 6 years( currently it is 3 years out of the four year period)
- A permanent resident have also been physically present in Canada for at least 183 days (6 months) each year for 4 of the 6 years.
- An adult will pay an application fee of $300.00 which is currently $100.00.
- Must meet language requirement;
- Must pass knowledge test to ensure they are fully prepared to participate in Canadian society.
This change is expected to take effect in 2015 with dates to be announced soon.
Call us for more information @905-290-7205. Or please go through BK LAW
December 11 2014