Travel Consent Letter


Are you sending your minor child or children abroad alone or without one parent abroad? If yes, there are some concerns that you should be aware of. What are these concerns? These concerns could be the identity of the child, why the child/children are travelling without the parents, who is the child traveling with, are the parents aware of it, have the parents given their permission to travel without them.

Remember one thing: the main focus is “identification and safety of the child or children and identification of the person accompanying the child or children.”

What you should do?

  1. Your child or children should be in possession of a travel consent letter if the minor child or children are travelling alone or with one parent or with family or are going on a school trip. The Government of Canada strongly recommends this.  It make it easier and a safe travel for Canadian children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The consent letter confirms that the child or children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying them.
  2. It is recommended that the consent letter must be notarized by a Notary Public appointed by the Government and who has the authority to administer oaths and declarations.
  3. If parents are separated or divorced, it is recommended that you check with embassy of the destination country if they would require any additional document like separation agreement or court order. You may also check this with the concerned Airlines at the time of buying ticket.

I can prepare and notarize travel consent letters at my office. If you have any question on the consent letter, please address to me when you come to my office.

Please make sure when you come to my office you bring all the relevant original identification documents of the child and yourself like passport, birth certificate, citizenship card.

Should you need any legal help concerning consent letter or any other matter relating to Immigration Law, please address to me. Do not hesitate in calling my office to book your appointment.

You may also check this link.

Please note that this is for information only and not to be considered a legal opinion or advice and each situation is different. This information does not constitute client relationship.  You need to check up with me along with details of your case.

Feel free to call me.